NTS has five dedicated rooms each with 32 desktop PCs. In addition there are over 150 PCs in department areas for subject specialist use, including suites in Business, Art, Music, Technology and the Learning Support Department.

Every classroom has an interactive whiteboard and all teachers have laptops. There is a set of 46 netbooks (small laptops) that are delivered to classrooms which are used for internet access and ICT work by all curriculum areas.

ICT in the Curriculum

Year 7 (One hour per week)
After an initial foundation project, which is used to facilitate the transition from Primary school to Secondary school ICT, pupils work on a series of projects based on the new computing curriculum. Over the course of the year they are taught basic skills in the common office applications. They also have an introduction to web authoring and programming.

Year 8 (One hour per week)
Year 8 builds on the skills and techniques taught in year 7 and introduces a range of new applications. They re-visit the applications taught in Year 7 to learn new features of each application and are encouraged to develop their independence, design skills and problem-solving capability.

Year 9 (One hour per week)
The focus of this year is systems development where pupils use the knowledge from earlier years to design and build whole ICT systems based on the theme of managing a band. This serves as an introduction to the GCSE project work.  From September 2014 projects will prepare pupils for the new Year 10 Course in Computing.

Year 10 (Two hours per week)
Pupils follow the AQA GCSE Computer Science course. During year 10 they complete one controlled assessment assignment. They are also taught the content of one of the exams that they sit at the end of year 11.

Year 11
Pupils complete a controlled assessment project and take two exams.

AS ICT
This is a very practical course with an emphasis on ICT in the workplace. Students learn advanced skills in spreadsheets, databases and web authoring. They complete a project in one of these and write a brief report. The report is used to answer questions in one of the two external exams.

AS Computing
Students learn a range of programming techniques and are introduced to a number of programming languages. Assessment is via a written exam and a practical exam.

A2 ICT
Students focus on a web building project in which they have to produce a website for an actual problem. This accounts for 40% of the assessment; the remaining 60% is assessed through an external exam.

A2 Computing
Students complete a programming project to solve a “real-life” problem, which makes up 40% of the assessment, and sit one external written exam for the remaining 60% of the assessment.