Our place within the community.
We take great pride in our students being part of our school, local, national and international communities.
- Our school community thrives on the core values of NTS-ness.
- Locally our students are regularly present at community events and involved in good causes and events in the area.
- We have forged new links both in the UK and abroad. Internationally we have forged links in Taiwan with the Connecting Classrooms programme and further links in Algeria and Asia holding the British Council International Gold School Award.
- Outside the school timetable there is a plethora of activities taking place both at lunchtime and after school.
- Our new House system encourages pupils to participate in a range of challenges and activities.
We might not make a point of regularly extolling our virtues in the local newspapers; a taste of activities we involve ourselves in includes:-
- Raising £2,000 annually for our 3 main charities. This year these are Alzheimer’s Society, MNDA (Motor Neurone Disease Association) and Bubble Foundation UK (supporting families of sick children).
- Musical performances and Samba band at local events.
- Student placements at local Junior Schools.
- Average of over 250 Samaritans Purse shoe boxes collected each year (includes £700 contributions).
- £3,000 raised each year for Comic Relief/Red Nose Day in the Sixth Form Charity Challenge.
- Duke of Edinburgh community placements from over 50 students.
- National Citizenship Service – The Nelson Thomlinson School has the largest number of pupils in Cumbria completing this worthy award.